Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The brothers

The brothers are a family of now 8 little boys that the missionaries here work with. Five of them came to live at Casa de Esperanza a few years back and that's how they first got connected with them. They now live with their parents but Jen and David are still very much the support of their famly. They are a big part of the reason I keep coming back. You seriously cannot help but just love these boys. Each one has something special about them that just grabs your heart.
Jen and David had worked hard at fundraising enough support this year to send all of them (minus the 2 babies of course) to bilingual school. They absolutley love it too and are so smart!


When I first got down here I am pretty sure that was one of my first questions to Jen. "Can we go see the brothers?". She told me for Christmas they wanted to visit some family that live about 4 hours away. The dad, Chilo, said he had plenty of money to get them there and back but David and Jen said for Christmas they'd drive them out there but made it clear they had to fund their own way home. They would have our team here at that time and would not be able to pick them up. Chilo and Maria assured them that that was fine. They were supposed to return home on January 4 and the boys needed to be back to school on the 5th.
The 4th came and went and no sign of them. A few more days passed and still they weren't here. They had called a few times and calls kept getting missed and then were in and out of service areas up in the mountains. Something that has been a big struggle for Jen and David is getting Chilo to take care of his family. He needs to be the support and provide for them. It's hard to use tough love when it comes to the well being of these sweet boys though. They finally kept calling asking to be picked up and after a few days of letting it sit and the boys missing a week of school, Jen and David decided to go get them.
So Sunday morning we got in the truck at about 7 am and started the long drive. I know it was tough for them to keep enabling the parents like this but I know we all were beyond excited to see their little sweet faces! They took a bus down from the mountain where they were staying to meet us. The bus pulled by and they were all hanging out the window waving. I seriously could hardly contain my excitement. We jumped out to help them unload their stuff but really I think I was jumping out more to give them each a squeeze! Little Antonio yelled out 'Caity!!' when I went to pick him up and Frncisco gave me that sweet smile he has and best hug anyone could want. All seemed right with the world and I was thrilled to get to see them all again.
We took them back to their house where they all seemed to be ready for some much needed naps. The boys are back going to school this week and I am looking forward to getting to see them some more in the rest of my time here.

Here are a few of the brothers from previous trips..

This is Antonio


This one is Francisco


This is Marvin

No comments:

Post a Comment