Friday, January 7, 2011

Team Day 3- Wednesday December 29

It was already day three of the week and we were still waiting on 5 of our team members to get here.
The 17 of us that made it here headed out to an orphange called The Mother Teresa Home. They are typically WAY understaffed and the kids can be challenging there. This was one of the first places I went on my first trip to Honduras so I was still really looking forward to going there. We were warned before we got there how wild the kids can be and no sooner did we step in the gate and one little boy came out, looked up at Michael Wallace and chucked a few sticks at him. It however did not take them long at all to warm up to us. The kids were just desperately craving some love and attention and I know everyone was happy to be able to give it to them for at least that short time.We brought them pizza for lunch which was a big treat for them after finding out that they had only been able to have rice to eat for the past few weeks.
I recognized a little girl there from last year who a year ago was too little and shy to talk. Her name is Patito which in english means 'Little Duck' so that's what we called her all day. She was too cute and kept wanting to play with my hair, I'm praying she'll become a hairdresser one day! ;)


After that we headed out to the dump to feed the people there. No matter how many times I go to that place I don't think I could ever get used to it. My hearts breaks everytime we pull up and I see people completely black with dirt from digging in the trash all day. Tears are brought to my eyes when I see children digging around and a mother carrying her baby through that place to try to survive. A meal of rice, beans, tortillas and water is the LEAST we can do to help them.
Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward. Mark 9:41


We then headed over to a village known as 'the dump community' and put on a small carnival. It is right by the dump and most of the people who live there are from the dump and 'work' in the dump. Their houses there are mostly made out of materials found in the dump. We had built in this village when I was here in June so it was great to see some of the kids and faces I had met then! A man from the village named David helped us build in June and then he was built his own house in August. One of the first things he said to me when he saw me was about coming to see his new house.



Last but not least for this day we met up with the 5 final members of our team and visited and orphanage for disabled kids called Bancoleth. The kids were all thrilled to have all the people around able to push their wheelchairs outside and have a little fun racing or playing 'bumper cars'.

No comments:

Post a Comment