Sunday, January 16, 2011

Talonga and Reina

At Amber's building there is a couple named Talonga and Reina. They are from the streets and both drug and alcohol addicts. In order to live at Amber's building they had to get clean. They did and then became 'house parents' to the others when they would come to stay. They both have such good hearts and I have come to have a soft spot in my heart for both of them.
Reina is 32 years old, HIV positive and pregnant now. She is for sure a hard worker at the building and helps out with anything she can.
Talonga is 26 years old and HIV positive as well. To look at him you would think he was AT LEAST 46. The hard life he's had has definitely worn on his fragile body.
In the few weeks that I've been here I have seen Reina and Talonga at some pretty low points. The first week when the group was still here we got to the building to find out that Talonga had been drinking again and was not allowed to live there. When Reina showed up that we realized she too had been drinking. It was so hard to see her like that especially when I had seen so much hope in them before.
They promised to stay clean and were let back in on the condition that if it happened again they would be out for good.
About 2 weeks ago we went to the building and Darwin told us that they both were kicked out. He had heard from the others that they had been doing cocaine. When he asked them Reina denied it but Talonga said he had.
Reina came over to us with tears streaming down her face and asked David for money for a hotel. I know it took everything inside of him to have to tell her no. I stood there hugging her and Jess talked to her. Jess told her that she had done many dumb things in her life too and she needed to just keep relying on God. He will provide her every need. She went on for a minute in English and before David even translated Reina was nodding her head in agreement. We watched as she gathered her small plastic bag of belongings and had to leave. I knew what was done was what had to be done but there was a big part of me that wanted to just go grab them and tell them to come home with us.
A few nights later we went to the building to see both Talonga and Reina there. Reina ran up to hug us with the biggest smile on her face. She told us that she had been telling the truth all along and she was allowed to live there again. She kept pointing up and praising God for His faithfulness. I loved seeing her giving all the credit to the One her guided her through those dark, scary nights.
I never got the whole story on why Talonga was let back in but after seeing him that night it didn't really matter to me. He sat outside the building with his knees tucked to his chest. David and I went over and sat next to him and told him how happy we were for him. Talongaa is a quiet reserved man in the first place but this night he seemed extremely humbled to me. He started telling us about how he had been studying a few passages in the Bible. One being the story of the prodigal son. I think this story really hit home with him after using drugs again and then being shown the grace to be let back in the building. As he spoke tears filled my eyes. He talked about wanting to be the change in his area. He told us how he wanted his baby to grow up seeing him as a servent of God and not an alcoholic. He went on and on and I could have sat there forever listening. He only speaks Spanish and I couldn't understand everything he said but what I could touched me and how he spoke about it humbled me.

No comments:

Post a Comment