Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Team Day 10- January 5

Well here we are at the final day with all the team. There are a few left that will fly out tomorrow but for majority of the team left today.
We split up and the people who were not leaving headed out to the dump. I was in that group and I have never had to experience the dump like this before. They were burning the trash so the already horrid smell was intensified. We could barely see through all the smoke as we stepped outside. The wind was whipping it around so everywhere you looked you breathed it in or could not see. The dump always gets me. My heart always breaks there. But I think seeing the conditions this day made it even more real for me.
A few girls dished out the rice, beans and tortillas as a couple of us passed out bags of water. I enjoy doing the water the best. I am able to get out of the truck and give to people who aren't waiting in a line pushing towards the front. I get to pass them out and somewhat talk to people as they come by. If you would have asked me what I like to do best there a year ago, I would have said serving the beans or rice. I did that my first time and it kept me a 'safe distance' from the people. I served them without having to touch them. Coming here each time God has worked on my heart to not be so scared of the dirt. It is just that, dirt. And there are real people beaneth it all starving for more than just food. They are starving for love. So whether I sit in the truck passing out food or jump in he mix to hand out water I want to love them like Jesus does.
The rest of the team headed to Hospital Escuela again (some who didn't make the flights in to do it the first time around) to pass out more toys/ blankets and love on the kids. From what I heard, many were touched and they loved getting to serve in this country one last time before heading back home.
We took them to the airport and grabbed some lunch with them and then had to say our goodbyes! I think I heard every person on our team say when they were wanting to come back. I love seeing God at work in everyone's hearts here, including mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment