Monday, January 10, 2011

Team Day 6- January 1

Today we got to go hang out at the children's home, Casa de Esperanza. There is just something about those casa kids that grabs your heart and does not let go. We took them to a park down a hilly dirt path and brought them a picnic of chicken and fries.
As everyone ran around playing with the kids, I played a bit but mostly sat back. Casa de Esperanza is one of the things I most look forward to in Honduras so this was pretty abnormal for me to do. I'm not really sure exactly what it was or why but I was just feeling a bit down that day. As I sat around not really participating as much as I'd like or I normally do, one of the girls named Sisi came running over wanting to be pushed on the swing.
As I pushed and she laughed having a wonderful time, I started to come out of my funk remembering how much I love these kids. As Sisi swung up she leaned back and the swing flipped. She came down right on her head on a patch of rocks and hard dusty dirt. I quickly ran to scoop her up and held her head tight against me. She was screaming and crying. I pulled her back to look at it and a patch of hair had been completely stripped away and her head was starting to bleed. I felt so bad.
I ran us over to a bench to sit down as her little voice screamed out "MOMMY!! MOMMY!!" and tears flooded her face. As the team gathered to see what happened a girl asked Ashley Lauer, "Who is her mommy?". Ashley said, "No one, she just wants one. Right now she's calling Caity, Mommy". My heart broke even more.
Not once in my life have I ever had to want my 'Mommy' and she was not right there within minutes. I know even today, if I were to need my mom's comfort she is ALWAYS right there.
We carried Sisi back up to the orphanage. I took her inside and rinsed her off in the shower as she was still crying. I combed her hair and parted it on the other side so you couldn't see the spot. Sisi did not want to leave my side after that and I was happy to be there for her.
We had brought blank picture frames to decorate with the kids and then we took pictures with them to put inside. Sisi and I made them together and when she was done she started to make me a cut out butterfly and draw me a picture. It was of a house with a big bow on top of the door and sun shining outside. She wrote both our names inside the house and told me she wanted this to be our house to live in together someday. As you can imagaine, my heart was definitely grabbed pretty tight by her that day.



After that we took the kids over to the 'Junk Cross' nearby which is literally made out of old car parts. The Casa kids led us in worship songs as we sat under it.





After we got back that night the group was definitely tired but everyone decided we wanted to go down to Amber's building and feed again. It was really great to see how willing our team was to serve when it had been such a long day. We got down there and saw some familiar faces as well as a few new faces who were self proclaimed hippies and very cool to talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment